Lacson: Senate Redemption May Start with Minority Bloc’s ‘Win’

The Senate’s redemption of the Senate from its current situation may start with a “Win,” as the minority bloc closed ranks behind Sen. Sherwin Gatchalian for Senate President, Sen. Panfilo “Ping” M. Lacson said Saturday.

Lacson described Gatchalian as “eminently qualified” for the post as he cited not only his capability but his diligence and preparedness in Senate committee hearings and other proceedings.

“He is capable, qualified and prepares for his work. In all the committee hearings he attended or presided over, he knew what he was talking about and he was prepared. So we see him as eminently qualified to become the Senate President of the 20th Congress at least,” Lacson said in a mix of English and Filipino in an interview on DZMM radio.

“We know Gatchalian is qualified and can lead the Senate to have a united front against all issues facing it,” he said in a separate interview on DZRH. “He is acceptable not only to the minority but to some members of the majority.”

In Filipino: Lacson: Pagbangon ng Senado, Maaaring Magsimula sa ‘Win’ ng Minority Bloc

Continue reading “Lacson: Senate Redemption May Start with Minority Bloc’s ‘Win’”

Lacson: Flood Control Probe Findings Won’t Go to Waste Despite Senate Leadership Change

Amid the leadership change in the Senate on Monday, Sen. Panfilo “Ping” M. Lacson assured the public Tuesday that the Blue Ribbon Committee’s findings so far on the flood control anomalies would not go to waste.

Lacson said the committee under his leadership had already contributed to the fact-finding and case buildup efforts of the Department of Justice and Office of the Ombudsman against some personalities.

“Our findings would not go to waste. First of all, we already contributed to the preliminary investigation of the Department of Justice and Office of the Ombudsman, through testimonial and documentary evidence,” he said in a mix of English and Filipino in an interview on DZMM radio.

In Filipino: Lacson: Hindi Masasayang ang mga Natuklasan sa Flood Control Probe sa Kabila ng Pagbabago sa Liderato ng Senado

Continue reading “Lacson: Flood Control Probe Findings Won’t Go to Waste Despite Senate Leadership Change”

Lacson: Senate Leadership Change was ‘Ugly’ Regardless of Political Side

Regardless of what one’s political side or persuasion may be, the leadership change at the Senate on Monday was ugly, Sen. Panfilo “Ping” M. Lacson said Tuesday.

Lacson said that while he understood the reason for the now-majority’s surprise move, the accompanying drama – including Sen. Ronald dela Rosa’s claim of being pursued and “wrestled” by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) – was an unpleasant sight.

He also said Sen. Lorna Regina Legarda, who replaced him as Senate President Pro Tempore after Monday’s leadership change, could have at least informed the then majority, or then Senate President Vicente Sotto III, of her decision.

“Any way you look at it, regardless of your political persuasion, what happened on Monday was ugly. It was an unpleasant sight,” he said in a mix of English and Filipino in an interview on DZMM radio.

In Filipino: Lacson: ‘Pangit’ ang Leadership Change sa Senado, Anuman ang Panig sa Pulitika

Continue reading “Lacson: Senate Leadership Change was ‘Ugly’ Regardless of Political Side”

Lacson: Flood Control Probe Can’t be ‘Blocked’ because Public Won’t Forget

Efforts to keep the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee’s findings on the flood control scandal from reaching the public will fail because the public won’t forget the issue, Senate President Pro Tempore and Blue Ribbon Chairman Panfilo “Ping” M. Lacson said Saturday.

Lacson said this is why he has scheduled a privilege speech next week to present his Chairman’s Progress Report – after the panel’s partial report still could not get enough signatures to reach the plenary.

“Our people are angry and will not forget the issue. It will take decades before the issue is gone from the public’s memory. I called the flood control scandal ‘Napoles 2’ but this is much worse and it’s no laughing matter,” he said in a mix of English and Filipino in an interview on DZMM radio.

“As Blue Ribbon Chairman I owe it to the Filipino people to update them on what happened after seven to eight hearings. This is because many are not updated and especially because there are false narratives being spread that we are covering up for some persons and targeting others. And another compelling reason is that the partial committee report’s contents have been overtaken by events,” he added.

In Filipino: Lacson: Tangkang ‘Harangin’ ang Imbestigasyon sa Flood Control Mabibigo Dahil Hindi Ito Malilimutan ng Publiko

Continue reading “Lacson: Flood Control Probe Can’t be ‘Blocked’ because Public Won’t Forget”

Lacson Sees June Start for Possible VP Impeachment Trial

The Senate may convene as an impeachment court immediately after receiving the Articles of Impeachment against Vice President Sara Duterte-Carpio, but the trial proper may not begin until June, Senate President Pro Tempore Panfilo “Ping” M. Lacson said Saturday.

Lacson said that while Senate President Vicente Sotto III wants to convene the impeachment court at once, at least three weeks may be needed for procedures such as the issuance of summons and reply, and a preliminary conference for purposes of stipulations and possible marking of evidence before the trial starts.

“Once the Articles of Impeachment are transmitted to us, if we follow the processes, we’re talking of at least three weeks before the actual trial starts,” he said in a mix of English and Filipino in an interview on DZMM radio.

In Filipino: Lacson: Maaaring sa Hunyo pa Magsimula ang Posibleng VP Impeachment Trial

Continue reading “Lacson Sees June Start for Possible VP Impeachment Trial”